18 Lessons From 18 Years


This past Thursday, I turned 18. The big one-eight. The year when life changes in a lot of ways. I have grown a lot in the last few years, learning things about the world and about myself. I've read and listened and studied. There have been so many people that have shown me how to live a life of purpose and how to honor God in all that I do. From teachers to parents, books to movies, friends to bloggers, to the things from God and the example of Jesus, I have and am still learning so much. So, I know that 18 years are not that many, but I thought I would share some of the lessons that are shaping who I am. 
  1. You don't have to please everyone. In the recent hit movie, The Greatest Showman, one of the characters tells P. T. Barnum, "You don't need everyone to love you, just a few good people." I think we tend to want to impress everyone and feel like failures when we don't. But we can't please everyone. As Christians, the world may even hate us (see John 15:18). So find those "few good people", those "friends who stick closer than a brother" (Proverbs 18:24) and cling to them. 
  2. Sometimes people grow apart...and that's ok. It doesn't mean you're not friends anymore. People change. Seasons of life come and go. But also don't be afraid to occasionally reach out to those you don't see much anymore.
  3. Words Matter. Something I am learning about myself is that I'm very much a word person. I learn by reading and listening. I remember things that were said to or about me (not every little thing but you get it). Words are important, and I want to be more careful with mine.
  4. Don't be afraid to talk to people, especially, people you're close to. I'm learning that the people who really care will listen and love me still, no matter what is going on. It's hard for me to tell people things if I think it's stupid or doesn't matter, but I'm learning to tell them anyway.
  5. Your mom can be your friend too. Remember: she's "been there, done that". Listen to her advice and don't be afraid to confide in her.
  6. People are not always who you perceive them to be. Sometimes people you thought were snooty or rude are actually not that bad. Meet people in real life before making assumptions about who they really are.
  7. Realize what really matters. It's not how many likes your last post got or whether the lighting is perfect for a selfie. It's those moments you realize all your earthly possessions could burn to the ground, and you would have all that matters. It's getting to know your Almighty Creator on a personal level. It's having people who always have your back. That is what really matters.
  8. Technology is an incredible blessing, but don't let it run your life. Too many times I've scrolled through social media instead of getting stuff done. Enough is enough. Don't let technology master you. (For more on this topic check out #struggles by Pastor Craig Groeschel. It's full of how to use technology instead of becoming addicted to it.)
  9. Every single person is someone that Jesus died for. "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him will not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16) Not just church people. Not just Americans. Not just the 'good' people. The world. Everyone. 
  10. Admit when you are wrong. I have had to apologize. Lots of times. But don't hold grudges, don't bury it all in. It certainly is not the popular thing to do, but do it. Admit when you are wrong.
  11. The world will not like it. As a Christian, I have begun to realize how different we really are than the world. At work, online, in the grocery store, we usually stick out. People don't always like what we stand for or how we live our lives, but remember Jesus' words in John 16:33. " I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
  12. Your past has been redeemed...so stop living there. Stop letting it control your future.
  13. You do not have to be afraid. God's got you. He hung the stars in the sky, keeps the earth rotating, and defeated death itself. He can handle whatever you're facing.
  14. The devil is a liar. Too often I've let lies convince me that I can't do something or that I'm not good enough. Repeat: the devil is a liar. Start looking for what God is saying about you.
  15. People may be struggling. We forget that those around us may be fighting a battle we know nothing about. Learn to love and give grace in all circumstances.
  16. Time spent with God is essential and so worth it. One of my resolutions this year is to spend time in God's Word every day. While I have missed only a couple, I am learning that it is so worth it to dig in the Word and rest in the presence of God.
  17. You don't have to have it all together. You're not a robot. You have emotions. Now don't let them control you but, as a friend once told me, you are allowed to have them. Don't keep them sucked in all the time.
  18. Last, but certainly not least,......God has a plan for me! With high school coming closer to being over and plans for what to do next not quite figured out yet, it is so easy to get overwhelmed. I'm learning that He has plans for me! And they are so much greater than I can imagine!  "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11 NIV)
Thank you guys for reading and thank you to everyone who wished me a happy birthday! I'm so thankful for you! Also, if you haven't already, subscribe by email so you never miss a post!
(Picture credit to Sarah over at Raindrop Pictures. Check her out!) 
Let me know what lessons you are learning in life right now!
Until next post☺ - Brittney N. Crook

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning from Leah

On Being a Part of Something Bigger than Me